Monday, May 11, 2009

Chef Ana's Top Ten Reasons to Love Tepoztlan

  1. Tepoztecos do not support chain restaurants. Local producers and restaurants rule!
  2. NO SWINE FLU HERE. YES, I INTENTIONALLY PUT THAT ALL IN CAPS. I AM TEXTUALLY YELLING!
  3. Tepoztecos are subsistence farmers who live comfortably and are very happy people. Stubborn, but happy. It is amazing what you can do with corn, chiles, beans, tomatoes and squash.
  4. No rat race. Whether for better or worse, Tepoztecos work until they have "enough," . . . then they go home and plan their next party. The social nature of your profession is almost more important than earning money. When I wanted to buy all of the masa for an event from the masa lady, she told me "If you buy everything, what the hell am I going to do for the rest of the day?"
  5. Local traffic police remind me of a strange Mexican version of Andy Griffith's Mayberry (yes, I have seen this show, there is one officer that actually looks like Barney Fife. My Photoshop abilities officially suck).
  6. Excessive amount of fireworks for every festive event (not to be confused with bullets, only Barney has them in town and he drops them a lot)
  7. Did I mention we have a lot of parties here? No one can stop a Tepozteco party, quinceañera, birthday, birth and death of historical figures, beginning and end of wars, every saint, every chapel, every day, party, party, party! Nothing stopped here over the past few weeks, not even for a moment.
  8. In two seconds, you know everyone -- La Casa Azul cheese house, Don Sergio the strawberry man, Doña Toña the butcher, the flower ladies from Tetela del Volcan, your favorite quesadilla stand, the tortilla and masa mill, the traffic cop, the mayor. They will know you long before you know them.
  9. Absolutely courteous traffic. Did you read this one, Chilangos? Read and repeat, please. You are expected to let the other party go through on the narrow cobblestone streets. It is not only appreciated but you will receive the universal dictator's wave in return.
  10. Don't Screw with Tradition -- not only are you are expected to yield to any procession, celebration, or party going on, you are expected to participate. Party on, Wayne! Party on.

1 comment:

Allie said...

Thanks for the refreshing view of Mexico. It makes me want to come and visit. Sometimes I wonder why my great grandfather left.